Planning Permission for Static Caravans, Lodges, Mobile Homes & Granny Annexes

UK Holiday Homes Ltd has been providing caravans to the public for many years to site on private land for either recreational use or as a separate dwelling while building a house or saving for a mortgage.

We have always been involved in the planning permission side for these units, so with our vast experience we have decided to offer this to our new customers in an easy to find help guide on our web site, you will find below the definition of a Static Caravan, Lodge or Mobile Home to help answer a few questions before you make the decision to buy from us.

We offer our services right from the word go and can help you through every stage of the planning process with our dedicated team of planning consultants who stretch to the 4 corners of the United Kingdom.

What is the Definition of a Caravan?

The term ‘caravan’ is defined in the Caravan Sites and Control Act 1960 as:

“Any structure designed or adopted for human habitation which is capable of being moved from one place to another (whether by being towed, or by being transported on a motor vehicle so designed or adapted does not include:

  • any railway, rolling stock which is for the time being transported on a motor vehicle or trailor and
  • any tent.”

The definition was further clarified by the Caravan Sites Act 1968 which defines the detail of a twin caravan:

“A structure designed or adapted for human habitation which: is composed of not more than two sections separately constructed and designed to be assembled on a site by means of bolts, clamps or other devices; and when assembled, physically capable or being towed by road from one place to another (whether by being towed, or by being transported on a motor vehicle or trailer).”

Town and Country Planning SI. 2006 No.2374 amends the definition of the caravan within the Social Landlords (Permissible Additional Purposes) (England) Order 2006 (meaning of caravan) and the Caravan Sites Act 1968. It states that dimensions must not exceed 20m in length, 6.8m in width or exceed a maximum internal height of 3.05m.

What is Permitted Development?

In some cases a caravan can be stationed on land without the need to obtain planning permission under The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995 as amended. These are called “permitted development”. Whether or not your proposal will be classed as permitted development depends on a number of factors. These include what you want to do and where, and the constraints on and around your property. Some examples of permitted development rights for caravans, where permission will not normally be required are:

Within the curtilage of a dwelling

A caravan may be parked on a drive or in the curtilage of a dwelling provided it is being used incidental to the enjoyment of the dwelling house. There must remain a relationship between the caravan and the house. If it is used as a separate dwelling or hired out (e.g. for holidays) this is likely to involve a material change in the use of the land to which planning permission will be required.

Siting on Agricultural Land of 5 acres or more

Land comprising at least 5 acres can be used as a caravan site providing that in the past 12 months there has been no caravans on the land for more than 28 days; there have been no more than 3 caravans at any one time.

Agricultural and Forestry Workers

Agricultural land can be used as a caravan site to accommodate people being employed in farming work provided the work is seasonal and not an activity which occurs at regular intervals throughout the year. The caravan(s) must be moved at the end of the season. If a caravan is to be maintained on land permanently planning permission will be required.

Building or Engineering Works

Land can be used as a caravan site to accommodate people taking part in authorised building works on the same adjoining land. The caravans must only be used to house workers and be removed once the building works have been completed.

It is important to note that in some areas of the country, known as ‘designated areas’ permitted development rights are more restrictive. Councils can also remove permitted development rights in certain areas by an Article 4 Direction. This will mean that you have to submit a planning application for work which normally does not need one. In all cases, it is best to discuss your proposal(s) with the Council and submit a Certificate of Lawfulness of Proposed Use or Development (CLOPUD), which is explained in more detail below.

What do I need to do if Planning Permission is Required?

If you require planning permission there are 3 different services UK Holiday Homes Ltd can provide and these are explained in more detail below:

Desktop Appraisal

A Desktop Appraisal is for developers and/or landowners prior to a pre-application or a formal planning application. The appraisal is a report that will identify opportunities and constraints applicable to a particular site, having regard to local, regional and national policy guidance, will identify any planning history of a site, and conclude on the prospects of obtaining permission and the best way to progress your proposal.


For certain developments where the site and planning policy is more complex and uncertain, it is recommended that a pre-application is conducted. Most Councils offer a pre-application advice service to give informal guidance on a number of planning issues before a planning application is submitted. Pre-applications have many benefits such as an opportunity to better understand the way in which the application will be judged against the policies in the development plan and other material considerations; can identify where there is a need for specialist input such as that relating to historic buildings or ecology; affords the opportunity to develop and modify the proposal to make it potentially more acceptable to the Council and helps to ensure a smoother and quicker passage through the development control process; and may indicate if the proposal is completely unacceptable to the Council, thus saving you the costs of finalising an application and paying a fee. Councils differ in what information they require for a pre-application submission and also charge for their advice.

Full Planning Application

If the proposal and planning policy is relatively straightforward, you may decide to proceed in submitting a full or outline planning application if so UK Holiday Homes Ltd will supply you will all the relevant information thats need for the proposed new Static Caravan, Lodge or Mobile home you have chosen to purchase.

What Happens if the Planning Application is Refused?

There are two options available to you if your planning application has been refused and these are as follows:


In the first instance, it may be best to discuss with the Local Planning Authority whether changing the plans might make a difference. If your application has been refused, you may be able to submit another application with modified plans free of charge within 12 months of the decision on your first application.


If your application is refused you have the right to appeal to the Planning Inspectorate. Appeals against the refusal of planning permission for householder development or minor commercial development should be lodged within 12 weeks of the date of the decision. All other appeals, with the exception of an appeal against an Enforcement Notice, must be made within 6 months of the date of the council’s decision.

This document is a guide only, designed to provide advice on mobile homes/caravans; it is not a statement of the law. UK Holiday Homes Ltd are not offering it as legal, or other professional services advice. Every planning situation is different and the advice and strategies contained within this document may not be suitable or applicable for your situation. UK Holiday Homes Ltd shall not be held liable or responsible to any person or entity for loss caused to any person acting or refraining from action as a result of the material in this publication.
UK Holiday Homes Ltd have in-depth and current knowledge of the planning issues involved to prepare any professional planning application for the Caravan & Mobile home Industry. Further details can be obtained by contacting UK Holiday Homes Ltd on 01423 534624 0r 07706 287 837 or email

Please feel free to call a member of our team on 01423 534 624 or 07706287837 to discuss your static caravan, lodge or chalet, or fill in your details below…